State Regulation in California
The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) is the California state agency that licenses and regulates cannabis businesses. DCC regulates the:
- Growing of cannabis plants
- Manufacture of cannabis products
- Transportation and tracking of cannabis goods throughout the state
- Sale of cannabis goods
- Events where cannabis is sold or used
- Labeling of goods sold at retail
The Cannabis Advisory Committee makes recommendations to DCC about regulations and licensing.
DCC was created on July 1, 2021, by consolidating the three former state cannabis authorities:
- Bureau of Cannabis Control (Department of Consumer Affairs)
- CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Division (California Department of Food and Agriculture)
- Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (California Department of Public Health)
Learn more about the state cannabis consolidation.